Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hi

What a mess around the Rotterdam Central isn't it? We almost couldn't meet! We had definitely a better weather in Rotterdam compared to the miserable and rainy day in Antwerp ! It was not only a perfect day to conduct a field research but was simply a fantastic day to enjoy in a sunny terrace and you have all deserved it. I think you were all happy with your results also because now you know what you want out of this study. You were simply asking the same questions you did ask in Antwerp. Comparison is fun and I can't wait to see the results in your blogs!

The following lecture's topic fit very well in between the District 9 discussion and student-led debate on social segregation. Racism, of course, is a hot topic. Following my lecture we went into a heated discussion on what is racism actually and why does it matter ? I ended my lecture with a page from The Independent which shows the race map of Britain to provoke discussion. What is wrong knowing where people from different ethnic, religious, cultural backgrounds live? Are we exaggregating this whole 'political correctness' idea ? etc. It worked very well as I had difficulty stopping you to let the research team on social and ethnic mosaic of cities to go on with their presentation and debate.
The following discussion was quite good too as the student team divided us into two groups and asked us to develop ideas for social exclusion and social mix. I have to say I had a lot of fun, and also got some innovative ideas for my own research (such as the 'national hug and kiss day ;))

Excellent you guys! Your motivation makes me even more enthusiastic about this course! See you tomorrow to talk on urban ecology...

Dr. Tuna Tasan-Kok

No comments:

Post a Comment