Thursday, February 16, 2012

Research team-Gentrification of urban spaces is now online!


Hi


We're progressing I guess. And I'm happy that mini Middelburg studies went fine and you were all very enthusiastic. Please note that another research team, gentrification, has just got online: http://www.ssc244gentrification.blogspot.com/

I tried to focus today's lecture on the general dynamics of globalization and we ended up laughing our heads off on a small video on perception of multiculturality in Antwerp. This fun video shows manipulated opinions of people on the street (funny to even recognise one of them, who is a street singer!) on immigrants. The picture presented there is exaggregated and not showing the reality of course (but may be hinting issues in a kind of funny way?).

Antwerpenaars are known with their tolerance and flexibility towards immigrants and other ethnic groups. Yes, we have our issues and if you read newspapers you see the tensions between different groups is growing sometimes. Yet, being an immigrant myself, my personal experience has different. When I walk along the Driekoningenstraat on which African churches, Polish shops, Maroccan bakeries and Turkish koffie-houses stand next to each other or hang around in the Stadspark on Saturday after Sabbath to see Jewish people with their children in one corner and Indian guys playing cricket in the other I simply feel HAPPY and think that this can work! OK, I accept, this is a rather 'romantic' and limited view on the urban diversity as we have lots of issues within the immigrant community and between different groups but don't you think, if you are from Antwerp, that there is something relaxed in the air? I do!

Weekend is approaching, hope you will have time to enjoy your little city Middelburg...I will definitely enjoy mine!

See you on Monday!

Dr. Tuna Tasan-Kok

No comments:

Post a Comment